Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

(1) Connection Requirements. Individual water lines to each service location shall be installed and connected to the new or existing water mains and tested prior to final project acceptance. A permit application and payment of applicable general facility charges are required for all water connections prior to the district providing service in accordance with SLWSDC 6.20.220 and 9.05.070.

Existing developed parcels making application to connect to only district water or sewer service will be required to connect to both sewer and water at the same time if services are available, such as the presence of an existing water main along the frontage or sewer lateral to the property line. This requirement may be waived at the discretion of the district if a developer extension is required for utility service in accordance with Chapter 6.15 SLWSDC.

Cross connection control shall be provided on all water service connections in accordance with Article V of this chapter.

(a) Residential. Each lot or unit of an attached or detached single-family residential structure with independent interior plumbing systems constructed under the current International Residential Code, including but not limited to duplexes, townhomes, and mobile homes, shall be served with an individual water service line and a metered connection without shared service lines unless otherwise approved or noted below.

Accessory dwelling units (ADUs) constructed as a separate structure in a new development project, or on an existing developed lot that may be subdivided in the future, shall be served with a separate individual water service line and metered connection.

Attached ADUs, or detached ADUs constructed on an existing developed lot that cannot be subdivided, may share a water service line and metered connection with district approval.

(b) Commercial and Multifamily. Commercial or multifamily structures with shared interior plumbing systems constructed under the current International Building Code can be served with a single metered domestic water service connection per building.

(c) Mixed Use. If residential, commercial and/or multifamily uses are located within the same building, separate residential, commercial and/or domestic service lines and metered connections are required for each use classification, and the interior plumbing systems shall be separated accordingly.

(d) Fire Protection. Building fire protection systems shall be installed as required by the fire marshal. Residential fire sprinklers may be supplied with either a dedicated service line, or a common-supply or flow-through type system on a combined fire/domestic service line, in accordance with district standard details. Commercial and multifamily fire service lines shall be separate connections from domestic use and sized in accordance with current fire and building code requirements.

(e) Temporary Services. Metered temporary water services for construction or irrigation uses may be approved at the discretion of the district and in accordance with SLWSDC 6.20.230. These services may be plumbed off an approved permanent domestic service line with a branched or bullhorn connection and an appropriate backflow assembly, but must be removed at the end of the development two-year warranty period.

(2) Service Line Material and Installation. New service lines from existing mains may be installed by district staff or the developer’s contractor. In either case, district staff shall make the tapped connections on the existing water main. The developer shall be responsible for all costs associated with the service line installation whether the work is done by district staff or a private contractor.

Upon completion of the installation of the water main but before testing and disinfection, water service lines shall be installed from the water main to the property line as shown on approved construction plans and in accordance with the district standard details. All water services shall end within public right-of-way or a dedicated district utility easement.

Service lines for residential property up to one-inch meter installation shall be Type “K” one-inch (minimum size) continuous copper service lines meeting the ASTM Specifications B-88-47. Services up to two-inch meter installation shall be two-inch diameter Type “K” copper or brass. Larger service lines shall be of the type and style as designated in the approved construction plans.

Corporation stops and the single meter shut-off valves shall be Mueller, Ford, or A.Y. McDonald with the type and style noted on the standard details. Included as a part of the service connection shall be the furnishing and installation of the meter box complete with lid, set flush with the proposed finished grade of the lot in the designated location near the property line, all as shown on the standard details. The angle type of shut-off valve shall be set inside the meter box in a proper position for installation of a future meter by the district.

Service lines between the main and the property line shall be placed at a minimum three-foot depth for its full length, taking into consideration the final finished grade of the proposed street and any drainage facilities. If the minimum depth cannot be achieved, such as under a swale or over a storm drainage detention vault, the service line may be installed in Schedule 80 PVC conduit or district approved equivalent.

Upon completion of each service line as indicated herein, the developer shall flush the service line to remove the debris that may interfere with the future meter installation, and further verify that the service line has full pressure and flow to the meter box.

New water service lines that are not in active use (i.e., temporary irrigation) at the end of the developer extension two-year warranty period shall be removed at the main line pipe at the developer’s expense.

(3) Water Meters. Meter services and meter boxes shall be located along the frontage of the structure unless otherwise approved by the district. Meter boxes shall be set to final grade after installation of the adjacent sidewalk and initial base pavement layer. All grade adjustments shall be made prior to final pressure testing of the system, except as approved by the district. Service inlets shall be centered at inlet end of box and faced toward outlet end of box parallel with long sides.

All residential, commercial, and multifamily meters, and private service lines for domestic and fire protection uses, shall be the minimum size per the current building, fire and/or Uniform Plumbing Codes in accordance with the proposed use, occupancy, and number of fixture units.

If fire sprinklers are required on single-family residential construction, including duplexes and townhomes, a minimum one-inch meter is required by the district.

(a) Meter Size Up To Two Inches. New meters one inch and smaller will be installed by the district at the developer’s expense upon approval of a connection permit and payment of appropriate fees and connection charges.

Meters greater than one inch and up to two inches in size shall be furnished and installed by the district upon approval of a connection permit and payment of appropriate fees and connection charges, and installation shall be paid by the developer on a time and material basis.

(b) Meter Size Greater Than Two Inches. The developer shall purchase and supply all meters larger than two inches from a manufacturer designated by the district. The district will supply and install the meter communication endpoint device. Meter information shall be submitted to the district for approval prior to ordering. The meters shall be installed by the developer and locked off by the district until approved for service. All associated valves, piping, vaults or meter boxes, and drain lines shall be furnished and installed by the developer in accordance with district standard details.

Water meters and boxes shall be adjusted to the final grade of the developed site and/or building connection prior to the end of the developer extension two-year warranty period at the developer’s expense. [Res. 835 § 1 (Exh. 1), 2022; Res. 735 § 1, 2017.]